Whataburger’s Best Practices for Emergency Management
Whataburger is a household name and a staple of communities across the country. With 860 quick-service restaurants in 14 states and more than 50,000 employees to protect, safety is a top priority for the beloved burger chain 24/7.
Ron Derrick, Corporate Senior Emergency Manager, leads Whataburger’s robust command center and is responsible for all escalated incidents at the restaurants, learning centers, and corporate offices. His passion for emergency management was inspired by his 30-year career in fire and EMS, and he incorporates that passion into Whataburger’s preparedness and response plans to help mitigate issues before they happen.
In this episode, Ron describes:
- How Whataburger’s contact center serves as a “911” for all locations to ask questions or report disruptions
- The structure of Whataburger’s command center that triages any escalated incidents
- Why an effective communication matrix expedites crisis response and recovery
- The importance of continuously monitoring and identifying threats to stay ahead of potential emergencies
- How Whataburger supports their local communities after natural disasters
More Episodes You May Be Interested In
- The Anniversary of Hurricane Ian: Kohl’s Reflects on Their Response
When Hurricane Ian wreaked havoc on the shores of Florida in 2022, Kohl’s mobilized a task force of over 100 corporate leaders, deploying their National Disaster Playbook with precision and compassion. To commemorate the one-year anniversary of the storm, Peter sat down with Stephanie Reissing, Kohls’ Business Continuity Manager, to hear the incredible story of…
- How to Achieve Resiliency Through Strategic Crisis Communication
Effective communication becomes the linchpin of organizational resilience in times of uncertainty. From weather disruptions to reputational crises, organizations need to master the art of communication when it matters most—before disaster strikes. Julie Kay Roberts is the Founder of the Private Sector Emergency Management Association, which connects business resilience professionals with the communities they support….
- The Power of Near-Miss Reporting in Healthcare Safety
The healthcare industry is currently grappling with a significant staffing shortage, which directly impacts employee safety. For hospitals and care providers overwhelmed by burnout, workplace violence, and other systemic issues, the key to improving their safety culture is near-miss reporting. Heidi Raines is Founder and CEO of Performance Health Partners and author of Shared Voices:…